Golden Cauliflower Rice
This recipe for Golden Cauliflower Rice is simple and delicious. It makes a really satisfying low carbohydrate alternative to rice or couscous, partly due to the high fibre content keeping us feeling full and preventing us from overeating.
Sometimes the humble cauliflower gets overlooked in the kitchen, but it really is a very versatile vegetable. What’s more, it’s a member of the cruciferous family, and we want to eat as many of those as we can because they are vitamin and mineral rich, cancer-risk lowering and have anti-inflammatory properties.
Serves 4 as a side dish and 2 as a main
- 1tbsp olive oil
- ½ large or a whole medium size cauliflower, blitzed or hand chopped to the texture of rice or couscous
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 sticks of celery finely sliced
- 10 button mushrooms
- 1tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp rose harissa or 1 finely chopped red chilli
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ tsp bouillon
- Dash of water
- Toasted flaked almonds
- Handful of roughly chopped coriander
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a deep saute pan with a lid
- Add the onion, garlic and chilli pepper if using, and cook gently with the lid on for a couple of minutes
- Next add the red pepper, celery and mushrooms and continue to cook gently with the lid on for 10 minutes stirring occasionally
- Stir in the turmeric, and harissa if using and turn the heat up briefly while stirring to cook off the spice
- Combine the cauliflower with the rest of the ingredients in the pan and mix well
- Sprinkle on the bouillon, the dash of water and the lemon juice
- Cook with the lid on for a further 10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Stir in the toasted flaked almonds and sprinkle the coriander on top.
Enjoy golden cauliflower rice with a good quality protein source such as baked salmon, marinated tofu or grilled chicken.