10 Reasons Why you Should Say Yes to Yin Yoga!
Yin Yoga is a holistic practice that can support our physical, mental, emotionally and energetic health. Read on for 10 reasons why you should say yes to Yin Yoga!
- Greater flexibility and range of motion: Our Yin Yoga shapes gently stress the connective tissue known as fascia that wraps around and through the muscles, lengthening them. Movement between muscles frees up as muscular adhesions caused by inactivity, repetitive movement or tissue trauma reduce. Keeping mobile reduces the likelihood of fixation (sticking together) and possible fusion of the joints.
- Tissues are more hydrated: Tissues, joints and skin are hydrated and lubricated, allowing for easier movement of joints and fascia. The practice stimulates the production of synovial fluid in the joint capsule and hyaluronic acid within the tissues, supporting elasticity.
- Stronger ligaments and more youthful skin: Collagen production increases, strengthening ligaments and bones, and maintaining the youthful elasticity of our skin.
- Increased joint mobility: Chondrocyte production increases, building cartilage. Healthy cartilage reduces degeneration of the joints and allows them to move more freely.
- Stronger bones: Bone remodelling is the constant play between osteoclasts which absorb bone and osteoclasts that build bone. Weight-bearing exercise promotes osteoblast activity, helping to maintain bone density and reduce the risk of osteoporosis.
Mental, emotional and energetic benefits
- Slowing down: In becoming still and slowing down the breath, the nervous system naturally shifts from ‘fight or flight’ to ‘rest and digest’ – much like taking your foot off the car accelerator and putting it on the brake pedal. Slowing down, letting go and dropping an urge to achieve or strive can be new to us, but once experienced can bring a deep release of the body, mind and emotions.
- Cultivating patience and acceptance: Our practice invites us to stay a while, acknowledging and surrendering to sensations that arise. This application of mindful observation reveals to us the transient nature of these sensations and feelings. We might experience physical discomfort melting into release or mental agitation transforming into elation. We observe that all things will pass and everything in this moment is perfect.
- A peaceful mind: Stilling the body and quietening the breath can slow down the seemingly never ending chatter of the mind, allowing a deep mental stillness to develop.
- Less anxiety and better sleep: A Yin Yoga practice can increase the production of serotonin (our ‘happy’ hormone’) and GABA (a brains-calming neurotransmitter), reducing anxiety and deepening sleep.
- Balances the flow of our life force: Indian yogic tradition refers to it as prana flowing though nadis and chakras. In the Chinese medicine model it is referred to as Chi/Qi, weaving though meridians and organs. Either way, it is the movement of the breath, energy or life force within and through us. By working with the breath and stretching the fascia, we are increasing, reducing, nourishing and facilitating the movement of energy as required for optimal balance.
Come along and experience the beauty of a Yin Yoga class for yourself. Everybody is welcome.